Many believe that burning sage can help to release so-called “negative energy”. In addition to burning sage. Some of the reported benefits of burning sage include the following.
- removing bacteria from the air
- repelling insects
- improving intuition
- purifying or cleansing specific objects including crystals
- improving mood and reducing stress and anxiety
Steps and options for Burning Sage
It can be done in a bowl or smudge straight from the stick.
1. You will need something in which to burn the sage. This could be an incense tray or a bowl to catch the ashes as the sage burns. Fill it with earth or sand. Don’t use a flammable container and keep water on hand.
2. Open a window or door before you start burning the sage. This allows the smoke to exit your house.
3. Put the sage in the burning container and light it. Let it burn for several seconds and then blow it out so that it keeps smoking. If it stops emitting smoke, try lighting it again.
4. If you are using the sage for spiritual cleansing or manifesting, set an intention for what you are doing. This is kind of like saying that you are starting a new beginning. For example, you might say “Let this be the day that changes start to take place.” “You could sweep away the things you don’t want in your space and welcome in what you do want more of.
5. Walk to each room you wish to purify and let the smoke enter it. Do not allow any space to fill with too much smoke. Avoid inhaling the smoke directly.